Wednesday, March 7, 2007

I started the purple quatro hat the other day.



The first few hats I did were exciting, new, and lookit, I made something that wasn't rectangular! Now, I'm just bored. I wanted to start a cabled hat but I didn't have a pattern and I couldn't figure out how to space them properly. Damn you, knitting math!

You might notice in that picture that the working yarn isn't actually attached to the ball. I have myself a yarn snipper. Who needs scissors when you have a yarn snipping kitty of your very own? Anyone who doesn't want to have a single color hat with 47 felted joins, that's who. I enter these photos into evidence.

Yarn Snipping in Progress

Post Snipping Stretch

The Good Kitty who Doesn't Eat Yarn


Because of the purple hat boredom I tried to start a ear-flap hat (Thanks Julie!) but I can't seem to get the ear flaps to work without having holes all down one side. The pattern is: (row 1) K1, P to end of row, K1 (row 2) K1, KFB, k to last 2, KFB, K1. It shouldn't really be that hard. The left side is all nice and stockinette-y little v's all slant ways. The right is a mess of holes. I would love to put a crisp, clear, close up picture here to show what I am talking about, but my Photosmart E317 (which is just camera-ease for DOESN'T FOCUS) isn't cooperating, so this is what you get:

What am I doing wrong?!

It always ends up this way - I knit and frog and knit and frog and knit and frog and then realize whatever small mistake I'm making and then it's easy. I think maybe it's because I'm a left handed English knitter and I have to flip all the directional instructions presented in most patterns. Maybe I'm just a slow learner and it takes a few dozen tries before I realize I've been wrapping counter clockwise instead of clockwise.

Once I've figure out what I'm doing wrong with each of the hats I want to try fingerless gloves, socks, and eventually a baby sweater and then who knows, maybe I'll get all crazy and make myself a sweater, you don't know.

xo,
Emily

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Emily, you could always use M1L and M1R increases instead of Kfb...there are videos that explain them here: http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/increase.php